Moving In Together
Moving in together may seem like the perfect ending to any modern love story, but the truth is, it’s not always about happiness and romance. For a lot of people, moving in with their partner is necessitated by practicality. And because of this, there is a lot more that needs to be done when it comes making this transition with your partner. You can’t survive alone on hugs and kisses, nor can you keep things in a positive light with candlelit dinners and snuggling in front of the TV.
If you want to live together and you want to make it work, you have to work for it. After all, love constantly evolves right? And so should you because moving in together requires high levels of maturity.
Tips for couples who want to move in together
To help you on your way to a happy couple-hood, here are some tips that you should remember:
- Choose your home together – It has to be a decision made by the both of you. Will the girl be moving in with the guy or vice versa? Will you be looking for a new apartment that fits both of your needs? How far will the place be to your workplaces? You have to consider each other’s needs and preferences in making this decision.
- Plan about who will bring what – List down the things that you own and compare your list with your partners. So for example, if you both own a sofa set then one has to be let go. Do you really need two microwave ovens, two coffeemakers, and two separate beds? In addition to this, looking at your lists will show you what things you still need to purchase (if anything is lacking).
- Talk about money and finances – Sharing the same space with someone means that there will be increased power consumptions, food requirements, etc. Let’s not forget that you also have to pay the rent or mortgage for the house or apartment, as well as maintain the place. So don’t hesitate to talk about these nitty-gritty matters. Who will pay what? How much can one contribute? What setup seems fair? Being realistic about things will help preserve your relationship.
- Respect each other’s personal things – This has to be remembered before, during and even after moving in together. You should always be respectful of each other’s personal belongings. Don’t go digging into their personal boxes, and make sure to respect the personal items that they hold dear.
- Plan your chores well – You and your partner should talk about simple everyday chores as well. Discuss who will do the dishes. Find out if you will use fabric softener during laundry. What types of hangers does your partner use? Whose task is it to clean the house? These may be simple things but if not planned, can lead to big fights.
- Each person should have a say in everything – Most new couples fail to consider that they are now acting as a joined unit. Decisions have to be made together and this involves everything from choosing the apartment’s decorations, to picking out furniture.
- Keep the romance burning – Once you’ve settled in together, make sure to keep your relationship interesting. Don’t be tempted to eat at home all the time. Make time for dates and eating out. Make sure to dress up every now and then. Ensure that you still have some time apart. These things will keep your romance alive for a long time.
Moving in together is a major step to any relationship so you have to ensure that you will put in a lot of effort and planning into it. If you follow the tips above, you’ll surely have a great time together with your partner.
If you want to save time and take out all the stress from moving, we highly recommend that you get professional movers. Not only will they provide you with the manpower and equipment, they can also ensure that all of your possessions are well taken care of.