Cross Country Moving Companies: Quotes, Average Costs & Tips
There is no question that moving your entire family, and all of your possessions, across the United States, can be a stressful and expensive process if you go about it in the wrong manner. It is an unfortunate fact that not all cross-country movers are reputable or reliable. We have heard of enough horror stories involving dubious cross country moving companies to last a lifetime.
This is one of the reasons why Top Mover Quotes (TMQ) was created. We aim to outline the huge range of cross-country movers available to you. Moreover, our team ensures that each firm is manually checked for compliance and also possesses enough staff and trucks for a reliable service, along with the requisite insurance.
Cross Country Moving Quotes
Aside from ensuring that you are hiring a trustworthy cross-country moving company (and TMQ has you covered), the quote-finding process is the most crucial part of the process. It is not an exaggeration to state that you could save hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars by merely shopping around.
We make sure you can find quotes online from the comfort of your existing home. We would recommend avoiding brokers because they don’t represent the cross-country moving company in question. Their ‘quote’ is likely to be very different from what you’ll end up paying.
It is also important to avoid paying upfront fees if possible, especially to brokers. Reputable professionals don’t ask for substantial sums up front, and they definitely don’t settle for ‘cash only.’ Generally speaking, it is better and safer to deal directly with the moving company to ensure there is no confusion over the eventual cost.
Average Cost of Moving Across the Country
According to the American Moving and Storage Association, the average cost of an interstate move (from state to state) is $4,300 with an average distance of 1,225 miles. The average cost of an intrastate move (within the same state) is $2,300. However, these estimates are for loads weighing 7,400 pounds. In reality, the overall cost of your move depends entirely on the load, and distance of transport.
For instance, a move from Adelanto to Buffalo can cost $4,500 if you’re moving from a one-bedroom apartment; but it may rise to $11,000+ when moving from a two-bedroom house. Likewise, you’ll probably pay at least 50% more moving from California to New York than you would from California to Oregon.
Then there is the small matter of additional fees which vary depending on the moving company. Examples of extra charges include packing services, flight charges, insurance, and the timing of the move. Make sure you get a final quote before signing any contract.
Best Ways to Move Across the Country: Handy Tips
Whether you like it or not, a cross-country move is an enormous undertaking. A failure to plan means guaranteed stress that you don’t need. You can alleviate it by following a few simple moving tips:
- Take What You Need: About eight weeks before you’re scheduled to move, itemize your entire list of possessions. It is time to make some cold, calculated decisions about what to leave behind. Remember, everything you bring costs more money. You could receive unexpected income by selling the things you don’t need. Otherwise, donate unwanted possessions to charity.
- Organize: This means placing specific items in different boxes and clearly labeling them! We also recommend taking photos of valuable items in case they are damaged during the move.
- Tie Up Loose Ends: One of the great difficulties when moving cross-country is remembering to take care of everything at your existing property. About a month before the move, contact your utility companies to ensure the power is switched off at the right time. A fortnight before you leave, go to the Post Office and fill out a change of address form. Make sure you cancel all memberships!
- Keep Valuables Close: We believe it is best if you take your most valued possessions with you. Even the best moving companies have accidents from time to time so don’t take the risk when there is space in the car.
It is also important to investigate the location of your new home long before committing to a move. You can check things such as crime data, neighborhood information, details about local schools and much more online.
Cross Country Moving Checklist
Here are some check points for you to review for a smooth transition :
- Will you have work waiting for you at your new location? – You’re lucky if you’re Cross Country Moving because of an office-mandated relocation. Otherwise, you need to look for jobs months before your planned moving date. You can do this by going there yourself, or by applying online.
- If you have kids then prepare them – Kids aren’t as quick to accept big changes like adults. Therefore, it’s a must to brief them about the move ahead of time, explaining to them they will not be alone in this, and they will meet new friends in your new home. It’s also important to prepare their enrolment and education at the new place.
- Know the weather and season – If you’re moving across the country, then chances are, there might be a totally different climate there. Make sure to study this ahead of time so you can prepare your clothing, medicine, and even your cars if you have any. For good measure, try to schedule your move during the summer as this is easier for transition. Take note however moving companies usually charge more during summer months because it is the peak season for moving.
- Arrange for basic services – Try to ask your current service utility providers (electricity, water, etc.) to cut off your connection a day after your move. And on the other hand, make sure your new home has running services a day before you get there. Way, you will always have good living conditions. Remember to inform your previous services you will be moving, so they can properly inform you of any existing dues, and cut the lines once you’ve left.
- Inform your bank and creditors – It’s very important to arrange your financial affairs prior to your Cross Country Moving. Let them know of your change of address and ask them if they have local offices in your new area. Tell them to forward future mail to your new address as well.
- Arrange for your travel – It’s not just your furniture needs to travel across the country. You also need to arrange the transfer of your family. Find out if you will be travelling by land through your own car, or by train or airplane. Book your flights as early as possible to save on travel costs.
- And lastly, make sure to plan a realistic estimate of all costs. This will include the cost of Cross Country Moving your things yourself, hiring a truck or hiring movers, as well as paying for food, lodging and road trip expenses.
Cross Country Moving FAQs
Is it Cheaper to Perform a DIY Move?
Although it probably seems a lot cheaper in your mind, the reality is rather different. When you consider expenses such as Truck Rental, Gas, Hotel/Accommodation, Hired Moving Help, and Truck Rental Insurance, it probably isn’t much cheaper to do it yourself. When you add in the extra convenience of hiring a trustworthy moving company and compare it to the stress of a DIY move, the small sum of money you may save isn’t worth it.
How Long Does A Cross-Country Move Take on Average?
Generally speaking, the average moving time ranges from 2-5 business days from when the moving truck is loaded. Obviously, it will take longer to move from Albany to Seattle than it would from Albany to Hartford.
How Does Top Mover Quotes Operate?
We work to simplify and streamline your search for a premium quality moving company. Simply fill in a short form, and we’ll get to work. Our team has a close relationship with every single mover in our database, so we guarantee that you’re never left out of the loop.
Choosing a Coast to Coast Mover
Remember, it is only legal for an interstate moving company to transport your possessions across the country from state to state. At TMQ, we make sure that our customers find only the best and most reputable companies in the industry.
Cross-country location can be a tremendous burden, especially when you account for the vast size of the United States of America. It is all too easy to allow a few small, yet important, details to slip your mind. We invite you to check out our comprehensive moving guides and once you’re satisfied that you know what to look for, complete our form and let us do the rest.