A Step-by-Step Guide into Choosing the Right Moving Company
If you’re planning to change your address anytime soon, the first thing that you need to do is look for a good moving company. Choosing the right moving company is very similar to finding a nanny for your kids. You need someone who is capable, dependable, comes with good recommendations, and of course trustworthy. And while a lot of companies out there will vie for your attention, you have to be careful because some of them may actually be scammers who are out to rip you off. So you see, if you want to have your goods well taken care of at a fair price, it’s a must to take your time in finding a legitimate moving company.
Here is a step by step guide that you can follow:
- Find good sources – You can search through newspaper ads and yellow pages or ask around among your friends who have moved recently. There are also a lot of excellent online quote services like Top Mover Quotes who can assist you in reaching good movers in your area.
- Get several quotes – It’s important for you to get more than just one quotation because you need to gauge the industry’s standard first. Get quotes from at least 3-5 companies so you can compare their services and rates.
- Ask for an onsite visit – If possible, try to request for an onsite visit or onsite estimate. This is where they will send you an actual estimator to make a more accurate measurement of your belongings and the cost you will need to pay. Onsite estimates are also a good sign of a legitimate company.
- Verify their rates and services – Once you’re sure that the companies are legit, call them again and clear up any uncertainties in your head. Make sure to read their quotations very carefully. Reading the fine print always helps consumers. Take time to ask them about additional services or any hidden charges that may pop up during the move.
- Make your decision – Don’t sign anything until you’re 100 sure that the company is of good moral standing and sound business performance. Make sure to decide and confirm a few months before your planned moving date so that you can book a schedule and start preparing right away.
Things to Look For in a Good Moving Company
Here are some things that you need to look for in a legitimate moving company:
- Valid company information and contact details
- License number from the Department of Transportation
- Motor Carrier Number- this is a requirement
- A good BBB (Better Business Bureau) standing
- Trucks that look well-maintained and properly labelled with the company logo
- Storage services- just in case you might need temporary storage
- Experience of at least 5 years in the moving industry
- Insurance offerings, for people who want to feel secure
Red Flags that You Need to Watch Out for
On the other hand, here are a few red flags that you need to keep an eye out for:
- Crew that is not wearing proper uniform, untidy, ill-mannered
- Refusal to have an onsite estimate, persistence on just phone estimates
- Contact numbers that don’t work, or with nobody answering
- The absence of a tariff or official list of services and rates
- The lack of payment options or the persistence on just cash payments
- A very big down payment
- Prices that are either extremely low or extremely high
The above-mentioned things are usually signs that the company is either inexperienced or rogue. That’s why once again, we are emphasizing the importance of research and verification so that you can be sure of a company’s integrity and experience.
We hope that this guide has been helpful to you. Good luck on your impending move and may you find the best movers for your relocation!