One of the First Things You Need to Plan is the Budget
If you’re planning to do a relocation anytime in the near future, it’s important to note that one of the first things you need to consider is your budget. Your budget will help you to make clear decisions about your next steps in the move. Computing for your budget will also give you a more realistic perspective as to what it really takes to make your move happen.
Things to Consider
The process of determining your moving budget can be very scary for most people, but as with most challenges, all you need to do is take it one step at a time.
If plan on hiring professional movers who will help you with your move, you have to consider several factors such as:
- The size of your house or apartment – The bigger the size of your house is, the more stuff there is inside and therefore, the higher the price.
- When will you be doing the move – Summer is the peak season for moving. If you want to relocate between the months of June and September, get ready to face peak costs from movers, hotels, airlines and so on. If you want a cheaper move, schedule it during winter.
- Whether or not you have items that require special care – This includes big bulky items like pianos or hot tubs. Delicate artwork and rare antiques also require special care when moving. If you own furniture that is especially heavy, you may need to pay for extra charges that coincide with the increased weight.
- The distance of your new home from the old one – The further away the distance, the higher the price. Local moving companies help with moves that happen within a 100-mile radius. Generally these are far less expensive than interstate or cross-country relocations. The average cost of a local move is usually $25 an hour for each employee/mover. Long distance movers can be quite expensive. The average cost for such a relocation can reach up to $9,000 to $12,000. These numbers are calculated based on the distance of the move, as well as the weight of the items to be moved. You should also note that these long-distance averages already include the cost for packing, loading, etc.
- Will you just rent a truck or go for all-out service? – A lot of people who want to save up on moving costs tend to choose the DIY route. This means that instead of hiring full-service movers who can help out at every aspect of the move, you’ll just rent a truck and do the rest of the tasks yourselves (this includes packing, loading the items into the truck, driving the truck, unloading and so on)
- Driving yourself includes additional expenses – Should you choose to do a DIY move, don’t forget that there are many other costs that you have to take into consideration. For example, if you’re going to drive your truck to your new address, you’ll need to pay for gas, toll fees, meals, stopover expenses, and possibly even a motel.
- How will you do the packing? – Another important factor to consider is whether or not you’ll be doing the packing yourself. Take note that not all full-service movers include packing costs in their package. To be sure, make sure to review your contract first. Of course, if you want to save on some cash, you could opt to do the packing yourself. However it’s important to remember that you need to allot sufficient time for the process. You should start packing at least 2 months before the move.
Study Each Quotation
When it comes to computing for the right budget, one of the best things that you can do is to get more than just one quote. Your chances at getting a better deal will increase if you get at least 3 quotations from different moving companies. However, don’t get trapped by saying yes to the company with the lowest bid. Try to review the quotations and find the average price. If one company is offering a bid that’s unrealistically low, it’s probably a scam.
To avoid this, you should only trust reputable quote providers that give quotes from legitimate moving companies. Take Top Mover Quotes for example. We can help you plan out your budget right away and give you the prices from the top moving companies in your area. Just tell us what you need- when the move is, where you’ll be moving to, and so on. We’ll take care of the rest for you and deliver you the quotes in just a matter of minutes.
We know how hard you work for you money and we know how important your relocation is. Let us help you make the most of your move. Fill out our form today and let’s start planning your budget.