How to Find Movers
Moving Should be Easy
A lot of people view moving as one of the most daunting tasks that they could ever face in their personal lives. It involves the need to look for a new home, ensuring financial stability, and of course going through the adjustment period once you’re there. In addition, let’s not forget one of the initial stages of moving that is also one of the most dreaded- looking for the right moving company.
Finding the right movers for your relocation should be easy but a lot of people have a hard time doing so. Some have been traumatized by past experiences (or stories from others) while some just don’t know where to look.
Although it is true that there are a lot of rogue movers out there, the good ones far outnumber them and finding the best movers for the job should be a piece of cake… if you know what it is that you need to look for.
Common Methods that People Use to Search for Movers
Before anything else, let’s look at the most common ways that people do when looking for movers.
A lot of people rely on their personal contacts and ask their friends and family for any referrals. There are also those that scour through the yellow pages or through newspapers in the hopes of finding ads that contain the contact numbers of local movers. They also spend precious time, tapping their friends one by one, asking for referrals.
And of course there are those that are more modern in their quest- those who use the internet to speed up their research.
Each of these methods have pros and cons that go with them. Later on, we’ll tell you why doing it the modern way could save you more time and effort.
Types of Moving Companies
One of the most basic things that you need to know are the types of moving companies that can assist you with your relocation. Here are the most common ones:
- Truck rentals – Truck rental companies will basically rent out the trucks to you for a specific period of time. You can rent them for a couple of hours (local moves within the same town or city) or for days at a time (in the case of long distance moves). This is a good option if you’re looking to do a DIY move or self-move. This basically means that you will be doing most of the moving tasks yourself.
- Pod rentals – Pod rental services will send you a pod or storage unit depending on how much stuff you own. Pods come in different sizes and you can choose the right size (or number) depending on how many rooms you have and how much you need to move. Most pod rental companies offer convenient services. They will just send the containment unit to your house and allow you to place it on your backyard until you’re finished packing all your things inside it. When you’re done, they will pick-up the pod and deliver it directly to your new home. You should also check out green moving pods that use recycled plastic pods that they clean and reuse for several moves.
- Full-service movers – Of course we also have full-service movers who are basically your all-around guys. They will send over people to help you out and depending on what services you agree to, they can even assist you in every step of the moving process. This includes packing, loading the boxes and items into the truck, delivery and shipping, up until unloading and unpacking. If you want less hassle for your move or if you’re under a tight time crunch then this is the best option you can get.
You can also categorize moving companies depending on their scope and geographical capabilities. Your movers will fall under one of these three types depending on how far your destination is:
- Local movers – Small companies that specialize in moves within the same city, town or state. These are usually start-ups or mom-and-pop operations.
- Long-distance movers – Companies that can help you move from one state to another, even if it’s cross-country moving. They have the right resources, crew, and services for long-distance travel.
- International movers – Bigger companies that have the facilities and capacity for moving you to another country. International movers usually have tie-ups with air and cargo shipment companies. Major players have their own fleet at your disposal.
What to Look For in a Moving Company
Now that you know the types of movers that you can look for, it’s time to know exactly what you need to find in a good moving company.
- Years of Experience – It’s best to trust a moving company that has been in the industry for many years. This will assure you that they know exactly what they’re doing.
- Certifications and Licenses – In order to avoid scam moving companies, find movers that are accredited by the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association) as well as the AMSA (American Moving and Storage Association). A ProMover logo in their office and marketing collaterals is also a good sign.
- High BBB Score – The Better Business Bureau can provide you with consumer feedback on the companies you are considering. Make sure they have a good score and positive ratings.
- Good Customer Feedback – You can visit websites like Yelp.com to find out what their previous customers have to say.
- Marked trucks and Employees in Uniform – Trucks that are branded with the company logo and details, together with movers that are in proper uniform- are telltale signs that a company is legit and in serious business.
- An actual physical office and working contact details – Check if the company you’re talking to is merely giving you a bogus address. All of their contact details (phone numbers for example) should work and be answered by courteous and capable employees.
- On-site estimates –Ask for a live, on-site assessment of your belongings. Over-the-phone estimates tend to be inaccurate. The company should be willing to send you an on-site estimator. If they decline to do so then you should see it as a red flag.
- Clear list of Prices – When a company gives you a quotation, make sure that all of their additional services and prices are clearly indicated. This is called a moving tariff and movers are required by law to have them published and readily available. Ask the company about any additional charges that you may incur during the move.
Do it Easily with Top Mover Quotes
Remember what we said earlier about doing it the modern way? Well, with Top Mover Quotes, it’s just about as modern as you can get. To find the best movers for your relocation all you need to do is team up with Top Mover Quotes.
Just tell us the details of your move by filling out a short form, and in just a couple of minutes, up to 6 moving companies will contact you and give you a quote. With TMQ, you don’t need to search for top-quality movers because we’ll bring them straight to you. What are you waiting for? Start your move today!