Items That Moving Companies Won’t Transport
America is known as the land of excess. People buy too much stuff and they store too much junk inside their homes. As a result, when the time for relocating comes, we try to bring too many of our old possessions to our new home. Some people want to do it for practicality. Some want to save money. Some just want to live in the exact same way they did before. However, there are a few things that professionals WILL NOT transport. Take a look at the following list and see if you can remove them from your packing list as well.
- Pets – If you wish to bring your pet to your new home, you have to do this yourself. Cages, crates and leashes will come in very handy for this. Also, make sure to have the proper licenses and clearance if you’re travelling abroad.
- Perishable goods – Items that will decay during travel.
- Plants – You can’t expect the professionals to take time and water your plants during transport. Chances are good that the plant will wilt and die during travel. Also, there are some plants that may be illegal to bring into certain states. To be sure, check with the laws of your new residence.
- Flammable Items – This includes matches, aerosol sprays, gasoline and other gas-powered machinery and other things that might cause disaster during transport.
- Hazardous chemicals – This is for obvious safety reasons. Some examples include pesticides containing arsenic, cleaning solutions, bathroom detergents, etc. Substances that are flammable, poisonous, explosive or corrosive will not be accepted by most companies.
- Firearms and explosives – Guns, firecrackers and weapons of all sorts are of course not allowed to be transported unless you have the necessary license to do so.
- Drugs – The moving business is a valid and professional industry. Reputable companies will have no part in the transportation of illegal substances as well as medical drugs.
Items that you should take with you:
The following can be transported, but for security, safety and health reasons, you should always bring this yourself.
- Visa and passport
- Sentimental belongings
- Identification Cards
- Important documents such as insurance policies, certificates, bonds, stocks, will etc.
- Prescription medication for personal use
Make sure that you and your other goods are safe and well-taken care of.