Pros and Cons of Hiring Professionals
So you’re planning a move? Well then, first of all congratulations on making one of the biggest decisions of your life. Moving is indeed a major life decision and it involves a lot of change. But don’t you worry because moving isn’t all that bad.
Before we move any further, let’s look at your options for moving. Basically, you can choose one of two options: 1) Doing the move yourself and 2) Hiring professional movers.
Of course, choosing to do a move yourself requires you to use your own vehicle or rent a moving truck which you will need to drive yourself. For this article however, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of hiring professional movers.
- Cost – Hiring professional movers (or moving company) will definitely cost you money. This can go anywhere from $200 to $600 or more depending on how much stuff you own and how far your new house is from your old one. Some people who are on a tight budget are immediately turned off by the cost factor but you must remember that you are paying for a convenient service here.
- Hidden Charges and Scammers – Before signing a contract, moving companies will send you a quotation where they need to state their estimate costs for your move as well as any additional charges you can incur. However, not all companies are transparent with the add-ons and you could end up shocked with the hidden charges.Aside from that, there are also the scammers and rogue movers who can give you a jacked up price, or even hold your stuff for hostage unless you agree to pay the ridiculous fees. To avoid this, you have to thoroughly do research on the company before hiring them.
- Risk of Damage to Your Belongings – Accidents can happen and sometimes, your furniture or appliances may be put to risk if you hire inexperienced movers. To avoid this, make sure to hire a company with at least 5 years of moving experience. You can also choose to get insurance for added peace of mind.
- Risk of Late Delivery – Bad weather conditions, road accidents, customs problems, these are just some of the things that can lead to late deliveries. Although of course, most companies try their best to be on time, you can never know when an accident can happen.
Now let’s move on to the positives…
- Faster Process, Extra Time for You – One of the best things about hiring professionals is the fact that they enable you to speed up the moving process. This is especially true for those who hire full service movers who help out with all aspects of the relocation.
- Assistance with Tedious Tasks – Packing is one of the most challenging parts of moving. Normally, this can take you weeks and weeks to finish. But not with professional movers! If you hire full service movers, they can even do the packing for you. This is very helpful when it comes to packing furniture, art pieces and even sensitive electronics.
- Additional Manpower –Another obvious benefit is the additional manpower. Hiring movers mean getting a couple (or more) of extra helping hands.
- Tools and Equipment – Aside from the truck, they’ll also have important tools and equipment like dollies, rope, packing tape, even peanuts and box fillers.
- Insurance – As mentioned earlier, you can also avail of moving insurance to ensure that your belongings will be safe no matter what. You can get this straight from the moving companies or from a third party insurance provider/broker.
- Storage Facility – In case your new home is not yet ready for occupancy, moving companies can offer you with storage facilities. In fact, some companies even offer this for free, as long as you don’t exceed their target number of days.
All in all, we highly advice that you hire professional movers. Yes, they will cost you a bit, but for the speed and convenience that they offer, it’s definitely worth it.